How It All StartedPosted: February 20, 2007
After months, MONTHS of agony, waiting for that one word.. I finally got it! Just yesterday the UoN has changed my application status to ‘unconditional’ and my newly-found friend Ms.Rylands from the admissions office has DHL-ed the letter. So that’ll probably gonna take a week or so to reach my home on this side of the globe. No matter.. I got it!
Note for future reference (so that I can repeatedly tell my grandkids)
Given that I may not remember what I wrote in here in a year’s time, lemme just state as to why this whole ‘waiting’ thingie was so agonizing in the first place –
- Got the conditional offer letter in October ’06
- Took TOEFL as required by Admissions in November ’06
- Got the result approximately 3 weeks later (did pretty well, I might add, hehe). Had ordered ETS to directly mail the result to the Uni on the application form.. So they’d get the result the same time as I did, yes?
- Nope. Due to my own stupidity for not including the University code, the Uni did not receive it. So I had to pay an additional $14 for the ETS to mail the cert all over again
- The Uni finally got my result (in paper) as written in their email to me late January ’07
- Come February.. still no change in my status online. started to fidget.
- By mid February, still no change. Called UK
- “Oh, yes I do see that we have received your result in the system. But I don’t understand why I haven’t received it yet..” This comes from the nice lady, Ms.Stan at the PG admissions. After reassuring me that ‘she’d get right to it’ that same day, felt slightly (but definitely not entirely) better. It was friday.
- Had my kenduri doa selamat that Sunday. It’s something like a farewell-cum-good luck party, only in the Malay customs, it’s followed by prayers, home-cooked food and loads of relatives extending their wishes (and some nosy ones asking when/where/how questions). Now do you see why I was practically hanging on dear life? It would be so terribly, unbearably embarrassing for me if the letter did not reach me on time, or worse, if the University changed its mind after enduring all that. I desperately needed that piece of paper to proceed with visa application. Oh yeah, did I mention that the programme starts in March ’07? Uhuh.
That’s the story. Hey, I got it!